Monday, May 10, 2021

Third Stop: All Faiths Cemetery, Middle Village - Elizabeth Goetz-Krantzel

On Saturday, April 24, 2021, my Cousin Pete accompanied me to several cemeteries in which our ancestors were buried but this one, All Faiths Cemetery, was specific to my mother's side of the family. In other words, Elizabeth Goetz-Krantzel (12 February 1833, Germany - 25 August 1898, NY) is my 3rd great grandmother, not Pete's. Pete is a good soul who indulges me and my wacky genealogy excursions. I love him.

I have written about my Krantzels recently and the sketchy details surrounding the death of Elizabeth's husband, my 3rd great grandfather, Heinrich Daniel Krantzel. Elizabeth, though, I knew was buried in Lutheran Cemetery. All Faiths Cemetery is Lutheran Cemetery. Well, it was first established in 1850 by a Lutheran pastor. Since its incorporation in 1852 though, members of all faiths were permitted burial in this cemetery. Thus, the name. Elizabeth's death certificate from August 25, 1896 clearly indicated she is buried in Lutheran Cemetery. This is the cemetery though, and they are very proud to boast on their entrance sign that are "For People of All Faiths." 


I am fairly certain Elizabeth was Lutheran, though. I am Catholic, as are both of my parents, and both of my grandmothers but neither of my grandfathers were raised Catholic. Grandpa Earle converted to Catholicism. Grandpa Gardner never did, yet, his father was raised Catholic and is interred in a Catholic Cemetery. Religion in my family history was pretty fluid and most reflective of what church the family lived closest to as opposed to a commitment to any specific denomination of Christianity. But I digress - -

It was my hope that this cemetery would reveal that Elizabeth's sketchy husband was buried with her, thereby removing the mystery surrounding his death. Unfortunately though, he's not buried in this cemetery. The clerk made a great effort to find the right plot location for Elizabeth so I trust Heinrich is not at All Faiths.

I went into the office with nothing but Elizabeth's name and dates of birth and death. The clerk looked and looked for any Krantzel on record and their were none. There were, however, a few Crantzels. That's right, they are misspelled in the official plot books. That surname is spelled a dozen different ways on their records; Krantzel, Crantzel, Cransel, Crausel, etc., etc., etc.

First the clerk found an Ernest Crantzel. "Yes!! That is her son!," I exclaimed.

"He died of epilepsy," the clerk stated.

"What?!" My niece just recently had what they think might have been a seizure and the doctors asked if there was a family history of epilepsy. I know of one great-great uncle who lived in a hospital for epileptics back in the early 1900s, no relation to Ernest but also on my mother's side. I called my sister that evening as this perhaps might be of interest to her doctors.

In any case, based on the other details provided to me the plot was purchased by Francis "Frank" Krantzel, another son, to bury their mother, Elizabeth, in August 1896. Elizabeth was 63 years old, 6 months, and 13 days when she died on August 25, 1896 placing her birth at February 12, 1833 in Germany.

She is interred with her son Ernest Krantzel (12 Oct 1863 - 7 Oct 1921) and his wife, Kate Stadleberger-Krantzel ( abt. 1865 - 6 Aug 1917) in Public Lot 2, Map 5, Row 46, Grave 21. 


The grave is unmarked as are so many around them as you can tell by the nearly empty field. The cemetery, although quite beautiful in many ways, was in desperate need of a mow and the main office informed us of this before heading out to the plot. It's early spring and I suppose the landscaping crews have not begun their work their yet. It was so overgrown. Even what they call the Family Lots, owned by families in better financial circumstances than my people. Families like that of, oh say, Donald Trump who's parents, Fred and Mary Trump are interred. They don't have the fancy headstone one might expect/ Their section looks downright abandoned and unkempt as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment