Monday, May 3, 2021

Second Stop, part 3: St. John Cemetery, Middle Village Queens - Mary Carillion-Henry

Another of the graves that Cousin Peter and I visited in St. John Cemetery on April 24, 2021 was that of our 3rd great grandmother, Mary Carillion-Henry (October 1855 - 8 January 1907). Mary is interred in Section 13, Row O, Grave 7. She has no marker which, again, is not uncommon for my family. Although, we have been richly rewarded in finding many Henry family markers on this particular day. Instead, Mary has a beautiful fuchsia colored azalea near her grave. It might really be the neighbor's planting but we admired it just the same.

Mary was a struggle to research. For decades my records recorded a vague maiden name for Mary. Sometimes it appeared as Carion, Carrion, Carien, Karon, Carson, and a ton of other variations. I knew they were all wrong. In part I knew this because of this image; the reverse of Mary's Death certificate:


On the back on Mary's Death Certificate there was a note that her son August Henry, the informant, that reads "Could not ascertain Mother's Maiden Name."

It was actually an AncestryDNA match several years ago that led me to her maiden name, Carillion. I matches with a woman who was the descendant of John Carillion, who turned out to be Mary's brother. That DNA discovery yielded another generation to add to my tree; Mary's parents, Nicholas and Caroline. 

Although the spelling of both surnames are very off, below is an image from the NY State 1875 Census showing my 4th great grandparents Nicholas and Caroline with their children John and Louisa "Karron" living right next to my 3rd great grandparents, Victor and Mary "Arrai" with their infant son (my great-great grandfather) Victor Henry. Yes, if you say Henry with a French accent and try to spell it phonetically, Arrai is pretty close.




No comments:

Post a Comment