Sunday, April 11, 2021

Gearing Up for a Cemetery Stomping

I am gearing up for a full day of cemetery stomping on Saturday, April 24, 2021. At present my Cousin Pete is planning to go with me. A bunch of the graves I have yet to visit are for individuals from our shared line and the few that are from my mother's side of the family (not Pete's family) are located very close to where Cousin Pete lives in Queens, NY. There are lots of things that Queens is known for but two of the biggest are its airports (LaGuardia & JFK) and cemeteries (far too many to list). 

Of the 59 of my deceased direct ancestors (grandparents, great grandparents, great-great grandparents, and 3rd great grandparents), I have 23 yet to visit. Not too shabby. I know I am blessed to be able to name all of my 3rd great grandparents. Finding records of all their deaths though, is proving to be frustrating. But anyway, on this planned cemetery stomp, I'll be visiting 12.

In the past I posted a map of my planned route through 6 or 7 cemeteries I have to visit. I have since knocked one of them out. I have also come up with quite the visual inventory of who I plan to visit, though.

There is a key to the right of each image: 

The names in White boxes are those I have yet to visit. I have plot locations for these people and I will visit almost all of them on this day of cemetery visiting. Most of them are Grandma Earle's ancestors and, again, are interred in the cemetery belt that stretches through Brooklyn and Queens.

The names in Green boxes are ones I have visited, if not very recently then at some point in my lifetime. I have visited all of Grandpa Earle's ancestors back to my 3rd great grandparents. This is in part due to the fact so many of them are buried near where I live. Grandpa's mother comes from a long line of Long Islanders.

The names in Gray boxes are ones I am working on to finding burial locations. I realize I may never be able to locate some of them. Most of them are my Grandpa Gardner's ancestors, and thus are my French-Canadians. Not only is it a long trip up to Quebec, their records are proving impossible to find. I am grateful for the Drouin Collection but I just can't find them all in there. The Drouin Collection is a French-Canadian collection of over 15 million vital records entries. If you have French-Canadian ancestry and don't know about the Drouin Collection, you need to.

The name in the Blue box I have already posted about; Elizabeth Goetz-Krantzel's death certificate says she is interred in Lutheran Cemetery (a.k.a. All Faiths Cemetery) but they have no record. I plan to interrogate their cemetery office in-person, though.

Grandpa Earle's Ancestors:

Grandma Earle's Ancestors:

Grandpa Gardner's Ancestors:

Grandma Gardner's Ancestors:

Wish me luck!







No comments:

Post a Comment