Friday, September 27, 2024

Strangers with Some Gems

On October 9, 2023, a post appeared on the Facebook page of the Freeport Historical Society of Freeport, New York, an area settled by my 10th great-great grandfather, Edward Raynor, in the 1640s. The post shows a map from 1896, which is part of the Historical Society's museum collection. It includes a highlighted area that appears to delineate the boundaries of the town. Just above the northern perimeter is the name of my great-great grandfather, John M. Losee Jr. (March 25,1870 - May 24, 1940), written as "J. Losea" on the map. I commented that I was descended from him. 

Months later on July 24, 2024, a man, who I have never connected with before, replied with an image of my third great grandparents' marriage certificate; John's parents, John M. Losee (Sr.) (August 17, 1841 - February 10, 1918) and Susan Amelia Combs-Losee (October,1843 - January 8, 1904).

I had never seen the document before, I had no date for their marriage until that point, and we are unsure how his great grandmother came into possession of the document. But it is lovely.


You never know where, or who, might possess a piece of your family's history. I am delighted that it has been so well cared for and cherished for such a long time by its stewards, however they may or may not be related to me. Thank you, Russell!

No comments:

Post a Comment