Monday, May 23, 2022

52 Ancestors Challenge Week 21: "Yearbook" - A Collection of Graduation Photos

As a college librarian we get calls from time-to-time from alumni and descendants of alumni looking for yearbook photos. Sometimes it is the only photo one has of their loved one.

Very recently my father's high school wrestling coach passed away at the age of 96. This prompted me to go onto Ancestry and look through their U.S. yearbook collection. 

I had seen my father's yearbook before. He still has it. And my step-mother graduated with my mother and my paternal aunt, same year, same high school, same yearbook and she still has it.

However, I had never seen the ones from my father's junior year during which time he was on the wrestling team. As soon as he got a car, the motorhead that he is, he quit wrestling. 

Honestly, I couldn't pick him out of his wrestling team photo even though I have seen many photos of my dad from his youth. It made me wonder if I could pick out other family members in their yearbooks so I went trolling Ancestry.com's U.S. Yearbook Collection and made my own family yearbook. 

Most of them went to different High Schools which I have not identified here for the sake of their privacy. You'll see I only list them by their relationship to me, their first name, and the year they graduated but here is my family's yearbook. Included her are my paternal grandmother, most of her siblings, my father, his siblings, some of his first cousins, my mother, and a few of her sisters.


1 comment:

  1. As a member of my own high school's class of 1973, I have to say that all of these people vaguely resemble my classmates! We really did have a Look (not saying whether it was good or bad!).

    ReplyDelete