Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Visited the Earle Ancestral Homeland

I know I have not posted in awhile. Higher education sucks up a lot of my time but now that it is summer I hope to have the chance to write some more about my genealogical research.

School ended in May. In June I went away for my birthday. See if you go away for your birthday it doesn't count. :) So instead of turning 40 I'm still only 28. ;) That is my story and I am sticking to it.

Typically I travel with two of my second cousins - Cousin Kelly and Cousin Peter. This summer the three of us went to Newfoundland for two weeks. Two weeks of nothing but icebergs and puffins and dead people research - aww yeah!

Newfoundland is absolutely beautiful. And everything I had heard about the people was true - warm, friendly, jovial, and full of stories.

We had four towns that we planned to see. We spent about 3-4 days in each.:
  1. St. John's - The main city.
  2. Twillingate - Where my Great Grandpa Abram Earle was born. Also known as the Iceberg Capital of the World.
  3. Norris Point - Nestled in the breathtaking Gros Morne National Park, this is also the location where my Great-great Grandmother Sarah Samms-Earle-Bromley was born.
  4. St. Anthony - A town not far from L'anse aux Meadows which is a UNESCO Heritage Site possible settled by Leif Ericson in about 1000 A.D.
I plan to post about my genealogical experiences in each location over the course of the next few days.

For now here are just a few photos to hold your attention.

A view of St. John's from Signal Hill.

Icebergs fill Twillingate Harbour

Hart's Cove Cemetery - Twillingate

Farmer's Arm, Twillingate

Old Anglican Cemetery, Norris Point

L'anse aux Meadows, Viking Heritage Site

1 comment:

  1. Excited to read about your Samms/Earle genealogical adventures!

    ReplyDelete