Friday, January 11, 2013

The Liebster Award, AWWWW

Thanks to Mary at  Threading Needles in a Haystack for nominating me for the Liebster Award! Mary, more often referred to as Cousin Mary, has one of the few blogs I faithfully follow and, yes, she is my cousin - my 6th cousin once removed; we met through our genealogy research. 

I myself have only been at this blogging bit for a few months but Mary is always so supportive of my writing and my research.  Presently, she is my only follower... Thanks, Mary.


 
 
Liebster is a German word that means friend, dearest, adored, beloved, chosen one. The Liebster Award is given to bloggers who have fewer than 200 followers, to encourage them to keep at it and to help spread the word about interesting blogs to a new audience.

Now as per Mary's instructions I must do the following:

  • Thank the one who nominated you by linking back.
  • List 11 random facts about yourself/your blog (if you want - it was much harder than I thought it would be to come up with 11!)
  • Nominate five blogs with fewer than 200 followers.
  • Let the nominees know by leaving a comment on their sites.
  • Add the award image to your site (optional). 
Now for the 11 random facts about me/my blog:
1. I can name all 32 of my 3rd great-grandparents.

2. I have been to all 50 states. I like to boast about this one a bit because it was all fabulous!
3. I am the oldest child of oldest children but all my grandparents were the youngest child among their siblings - well, no, my paternal grandmother, a.k.a. Nanny, was the youngest girl she is actually #5 of six kids.


4. My blog started as a Family History Month project in October 2012 but I'm really at it to catch some researching cousins.
5. I a penchant for glittery shoes and sparkly nail polish. Woo hoo!
6. I am currently working on my application to become a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR). I found my patriots, yes two of them, on a very surprising line; a line I consider my Canadian line - - go figure!
7. I like to instigate genealogy research. I drag many a cousin to libraries, archives, and cemeteries. And I have more than a few friends and colleagues now hooked on researching their family trees.
8. My family regularly debates about which grandchild looks most like Nanny. Um, open your eyes people! I look most like Nanny!!!
9. This past year, 2012, I became an aunt for the first time. So you can all stop asking me who I am leaving my research to.
10. If I could be any color crayon, I'd be green because it that color makes me feel calm and its one of the basic eight colors in a box of Crayola crayons - - I'd like to be one of the basic eight.
11. I do not identify myself with any ethnic background. I am not a hyphen American (ex. Irish-American, German-American, etc.). I am American. Reading through my family's history is like reading out of an American history textbook; each branch arrived at a different point in time with the wave of their ethnic group, they've participated in every American war, and their occupations are typical of their time, region, and upbringing. I used to think it "ho-hum", but really, I kind of love "ho-hum." 

At present I can not nominate anyone for this award because I don't follow any blogs that have less than 200 followers. How sad is that? But I commit to nominate the next 5 fabulous eligible blogs I come across.
 

When you get a chance, definitely check out Cousin Mary's blog; Threading Needles in a Haystack . She shares lots of great research tips, she is an excellent writer, and um, she's my cousin! Thanks, Mary! 

2 comments:

  1. April, I found your blog through Mary's blog. Keep up the good work and congrats on the award!

    ReplyDelete