Where are you buried great-great-great grandpa o' mine?
I can't find a death certificate for him in the NY City Municipal Archives records. There are John Joyces, many of them which is the problem but maybe he didn't die in the City of New York even though all his children were born and died in the city.
His wife, Mary Ann O'Neill-Joyce is buried in Calvary Cemetery. I suspect John is interred there...somewhere. I went through the hassle and expense of ordering the list of plot interment. Mary Ann is one of seven people interred in one family plot which means I paid $120; $90 for the first name and $5 for each additional name. I did this with the hope that John was along side of her and that it would lead me to his death certificate. But nope! No, John.
This investment is not a total lose, of course. I did receive a list of six other individuals buried with Mary Ann. This included four of her six children and two grandchildren.
The four children buried with her are:
- John A. Joyce Jr. who died at age 38 on February 27, 1896.
- George Joyce who died at age 76 on March 6, 1931.
- Gertrude Joyce-Sheridan who died at age 70 on April 21, 1934.
- Mary J. Joyce who died at age 79 on January 24, 1940.
- John Lawrence Fay who died at 2 months old on September 21, 1894.
- Michael Fay who died at 1 year old on July 22, 1897.
But again, when did John die and where the heck is he buried?