Tuesday, July 5, 2022

52 Ancestors Challenge Week 27: "Extended Family" - George Organ of Norris Point, Newfoundland

If we are to interpret "extended family" to mean relatives outside of the nuclear family such as aunts and uncles, and cousins of all ilk, I have already been writing about them throughout this blogging challenge so instead I am going to consider "extended family" to mean those relatives who share no blood line at all, like the families of in-laws, cousins of cousins, etc. You know, those elders you call aunt and uncle but really aren't related. Those people you invite to family functions but that are not related to you but are related to people you are related to.

Well, when I was in Twillingate, Newfoundland the first time in 2014, the birthplace of my great grandfather, Abram Thomas Earle (January 13, 1891 - November 18, 1973), my cousins and I rented a house in which there was a coffee table book called This is Our Place, This is Our Home by Joan Edward. It is a collection of oral histories from every corner of Newfoundland. The author had included a portrait and illustration with each story.

I was particularly drawn to one with this illustration of a small group of headstones, one of which appeared to be a unique wooden pillar.

We were headed to Norris Point, the area where my great grandpa's mother, Sarah Samms (October 13, 1857 - March 20 1899) was born. She is buried in Twillingate in Hart's Cove Cemetery but she was born near Norris Point.

Beneath the illustration it read: "April 17 - I set off for Norris point with the idea of photographing the cemetery with the majestic Tablelands ranging in the background. Snuggles in the center of the village, the cemetery lay blanketed in snow, many of its tombstones decorated with little colored plastic flowers at their base. My attention was soon riveted by a most fascinating tall headstone carved out of wood, silver-grey with age, dating back to 1871..." (page 181).

On the following pages the author shared her interview with James Knott of Norris Point. She wrote, "James' sister-in-law, Myrtle, revealed that her grandfather, George Thomas Organ, had carved the headstone himself for his brother's wife, Sarah... There are always connections in Newfoundland."

Didn't think much of it at the time. I was now kind of looking forward to seeing that cemetery marker in-person, though. I was fairly certain this would be the cemetery in which my Samms ancestors were interred, the St. Barnabas Anglican Cemetery in Norris Point.

Sure enough it was. My great-great grandmother Sarah Samms mother was interred there; my 3rd great grandmother, Frances (May 9, 1837 - January 6, 1925). Make that Frances Organ-Samms-Smith. That's right, my 3rd great grandmother's maiden name was Organ and that wooden marker carved by George Organ was for my 4th great grandmother Sarah Elizabeth Matthews-Organ (December 19, 1811 - April 12, 1872).

Pretty neat right?

I didn't know it at the time I read that book back in the living room of our rental in Twillingate that that fascinating wooden cemetery marker was my 4th great grandmother's.

 

If you look real close, you can see two reddish headstones a few rows back on the left and right for Knott family members. I'm confident James Knott is amongst those buried here.

I have been back to Norris Point one time since and sadly that marker was not there. I asked around about it and someone told us someone had taken it down to be restored. I have not been back since 2018 but I hope it is back in place.


No comments:

Post a Comment