Monday, June 6, 2022

52 Ancestors Challenge Week 23: "Mistake" - 3rd great grandparents, Lawrence & Bridget Fay

For awhile I had a cousin who lived in Saugeries, New York. Around the same time she lived there, I discovered that my maternal grandmother's family lived in Saugerties from the mid-to-late 1800s. It was a bit of surprise to me really. My maternal grandmother died before I was born. Thus, I have little family lore regarding this branch of my family. I think of them as my Irish immigrants who settled in New York City, though. But oh contraire mon frère. 

My 3rd great grandfather, Lawrence Fay (About 1829 - December 23, 1879), settled in Saugerties, Ulster County, New York, probably in the 1840s. He may have been a pre-famine Irish immigrant. I'm not sure as I have not been able to confirm his immigration date or where in Ireland he was born. 

The Great Famine occurred in Ireland between 1845 and 1852. During that time more than 1 million Irish died of starvation caused by phytophthora infestans, the fungus that invaded the potato plant; a staple of the Irish diet.

Lawrence was absolutely living in Saugerties at the time of the 1850 U.S. Federal Census. Pre-children, here Lawrence is listed with his wife, Bridget, living with a group of people that I don't know as being related.


The couple had 7 children. The oldest of which was my great great grandfather, Michael Fay (October 1852 - January 13, 1915).

I can't find much about Lawrence and Bridget's lives in Saugerties but I did find Lawrence listed in the 1880 Mortality Census, meaning he died before May 31, 1880.


If you find a relative in a Mortality Schedule you get so much information.

I have underlined my Lawrence in red but will transcribe the information as well below.

Fay, Lawrence. 
Age: 60. 
Sex: Male. 
Race: White. 
Marital Status: Married. 
Birthplace: Ireland. 
Father's birthplace: Ireland. 
Mother's birthplace: Ireland. 
Occupation: Blacksmith

Month in which the person died: December. 
Cause of Death: Chronic Bright's. 
How long a resident of the county?: 1
Place of Death: 445 W 40
Attending Physician: H.D. Joy

This information led me to a death certificate for Lawrence in the City of New York, not in Saugerties. However, his Manhattan death certificate indicates he is buried in Saugerties. In the red circle below I think it says Saugerties Ulster Co. He died on December 23, 1879 and was buried on Christmas Day. I didn't think Catholics buried on Christmas Day but the certificate says buried 25 Dec.

This find prompted me to look for his wife's, Bridget's, death certificate in the City of New York. She too is buried in Saugerties. She died on March 3, 1892.


Okay so we got this right? 
Lawrence Fay, age 60, died December 23, 1879.
Bridget Fay, age 60, died March 3, 1892.

Lookie here though. Their headstone at St. Mary of the Snows Roman Catholic Church in Saugerties, New York. That says Lawrence Fay Died 1880 aged 65 yrs Bridget Fay Died 1890 aged 60 yrs.


Mistakes were made people. Mistakes were made.

How these mistake were made I am not sure. I figure someone loved them enough to put up a stone long after this couple died and just gave the stone carver whatever information they thought they knew. Still...its a gesture of love and I am grateful there is a marker there, even if it isn't accurate.

7 comments:

  1. I agree with your conclusion...somebody long afterward memorialized these two folks, but didn't have the correct info and didn't know how to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Death certificates are typically accepted as a primary source. But, I have also seen inaccurate information on them and wondered about the others I took for granted as being correct. (Does that say "gangrene" on Bridget's DC?) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what it says - senile gangrene - idopathic

      Delete
  3. Her age on the death certificate isn't 45, it's 60. The 45 relates to how long she was in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thank you, several other people have pointed that out. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I love your statements: "Mistakes were made people. Mistakes were made." !! Made me chuckle. How true! I've seen it several times. Like you said, at least someone cared enough to place a headstone for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You recall the famous "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus" story in which if it is written in The Sun newspaper it must be true? Well, people think if it's written down it's true. Silly people

      Delete