Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Mr. H's Grandpa & The New York City Catholic Protectory

This summer I will be teaching an online course through St. John's University about Genealogical Sources & Services. Some time ago I determined the culminating project for the course to be an ancestor's biography. My students will write a 1500-3000 work biography on an relative; it doesn't really have to be a direct ancestor just someone who passed before they were born and that they are able to find records about. 

As a teacher you can write all sorts of checklists and rubrics conveying to the students your expectations and how they will be graded but in some instances I believe it is best to also supply them an example they can model. Some worry themselves that the students will just copy the example and not really learn the concepts involved. I disagree, especially in this instance. There is no way they can really copy the biography I wrote on my great grandfather, Albert.

Albert was quite a character. According to newspaper articles he had quite a few brushes with the law as a youth. At one point he was sentenced to the New York City Catholic Protectory. This institution was sort of an orphanage / juvenile delinquency program run by the Catholic Church in an effort to instill morality and ethics in children. Hmm. 

According to a New York Times article from July of 1865 this institution received children who were:

  1. Children under the age of 14 years, who, by consent in writing of their parents or guardians, may be intrusted to it for protection or reformation.
  2. Children between 7 and 14 years of age, who may be committed to the care of such corporation as idle, truant, vicious, or homeless, by order of any magistrate in the City of New-York, empowered by law to make committal of children for any such cause.
  3. Children of the like age who may be transferred, at the option of the Commissioners of Public Charities and Correction of the City of New-York, to such corporation.

For my biography on Albert, I researched the history of the Protectory as well as discovered records available about the young residents in FamilySearch.org.

As my regular readers know, I also work at a public library once (sometimes twice) per month doing one-on-one consultations with individuals interested in researching their family history. 

This past month I worked with a patron we'll call Mr. H. He has come to see me once before. At that time we worked on his father's side of the family. At this visit we focused on his mother's side. After finding a few records he began to tell me a story about his grandfather. He had heard his grandfather and his brothers were put in some type of orphanage after his mother died. "But it wasn't an orphanage really because they eventually went back to their father," Mr. H said. "He went there when he got in trouble with the law too one time. It was run by the Catholic church which is why he didn't want to have anything to do with the church."

I became silent. I waited for him to say the word protectory. I waited. I could see him struggling to recall the word. And then I asked. "Was it the New York City Catholic Protectory?"

"YES!"

I immediately switched over to FamilySearch.org and found the un-indexed database. The struggle to find this particular database was due to the fact that is it titled Residents' Identification Cards, ca. 1880-1938 and authored by The Society for the Protection of Destitute Roman Catholic Children of New York City. Lot of words to remember. However, it is indeed the records for what was part of the New York City Catholic Protectory


Because it is not indexed, we had to scroll through the alphabetically organized images. And there we found it, Mr. H's grandpa 12 index cards worth of information about the circumstances surrounding his residency there at what was then called The Lincoln Hall School in Lincolndale, New York.

The cards told of his brush with the law at a very young age, about the health conditions of his parents which landed him there at his first visit, it gave his mother's maiden name, and helped us to narrow down her date of death to sometime between 1905 and 1907.

Albert was just 2 1/2 years older than Mr. H's grandpa. And although I can't find Albert in those digitized records, not all of them are digitized mind you, I can't help but wonder if the two resided there at the same time and if so, did they know each other. Either way, I like to think that my great grandpa Albert helped me help Mr. H add a little more detail and color to his own family history.

12 comments:

  1. Hi. I came across your blog while researching how to obtain the records of the children at the NEw York Catholic Protectory. We have found her name and years there on a list, but I can't find a way to get to her records and find out more information on her. She did not like to talk about her past. I tried searching for the two things you found them listed under above, but they are not working on family search. Where did you type in that information in searching? I've tried so many things and I see that some people are able to retrieve the documents, but I am not having any luck.
    Thanks for your help!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who is "her"? If you share with me the name of the person you are looking for I would be happy to search in the records I found through familysearch from the NY Protectory.

      Go to Familysearch.org and log in. Get to the search page. Don't put in any name or anything, instead click on catalog in the bar at the top. Put in the title Residents' Identification Cards, ca. 1880-1938. This is not a searchable dataset, you have to browse through it image by image. However, the images tend to be in general alphabetical order.

      If you email me with "her" name, I can give it a look for you. april(dot)earle(at)gmail(dot)com

      Delete
    2. Maybe this url will help: https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/582471?availability=Family%20History%20Library

      Delete
  2. My cousin's father was there in 1910
    William Sheridan age 12 born Missouri.
    Found this on the 1910 census.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can find the images of his records on familysearch

      Delete
  3. My grandmother and her sisters were there and I am writing her life story and would love more information about this often and if anyone has any more information about this so if a new judge appreciate it thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you leave me an email contact I can work with you through the records. However, this url is still functioning and where you would access the records: https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/582471?availability=Family%20History%20Library

      Delete
  4. Hi,

    My name is Greg Dawson and I was wondering if you had any information on records prior to 1880. My great great grandfather, Richard Dawson was a resident of the Protectory in 1880 but was most likely sent there when his mother, Margaret Mackey Dawson passed away. His father, Peter Dawson died in 1873. Peter was a NY State Assemblyman in the 1850's and I was looking for any information on them. My email address is jenco@optonline.net. Thank you so much.

    Greg D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello April- I'm hoping you can help me - my Mother Frances Angerano stayed at Holy Angels in the Bronx 1931 -Catholic Protectory- I would love her to see her records - thank you, Marian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I have never heard of Holy Angels. I have taken a look in the files described in this blog entry but don't see anything for her. You can give them a look if you have an FamilySearch account (free): https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/582471?availability=Family%20History%20Library

      Delete
  6. Sorry - I would love to see her records- my Mom passed away in 1996-

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this link. I hope it will work to find a great-grand uncle.

    ReplyDelete